Join Team MadWool and spin as much as you can, in a friendly, non judgemental environment!
What is Spinzilla?
Spinzilla is a global event where teams and individuals compete in a friendly challenge to see who can spin the most yarn during Spinning and Weaving Week, the first full week in October. Join us—there will be bragging rights, prizes, and a monster amount of fun!
In three years Spinzilla spinners have spun over 10.4 million yards of yarn and raised over $35,000 for The NeedleArts Mentoring Program. Last year, Team MadWool came in 57th! We had FUN and some folks didn't get to spin at all, but that's ok! Join us if you want to challenge yourself, on a drop spindle or a wheel. I set a goal for a mile of yarn spun, and I did 1.5 miles!
Why should you should participate?
- The competition aspect allows spinners to push past their fears. The more yarn you spin, the better spinner you become.
- The underlying goal of Spinzilla is to see how much yarn we as a community can make in a week—we want the world to take notice of handspinning.
- Spinner registration fees are an investment in the makers of tomorrow. They are donated to the NeedleArts Mentoring Program that fosters mentoring between adult volunteers and school age children to teach the needle arts—spinning, weaving, knitting, crochet, and stitching.
- Support small business! Spinzilla teams are hosted by your favorite spinning LYS, retailer, tool maker, and publisher.
- Please join us! Call or email the shop for more info, or check the Ravelry Threads: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/spinzilla and MadWool's Ravelry Group: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/madison-wool..
- We will have in shop spin ins, and encouragement from afar!